Friday 22 March 2013

Film Writing For Idiots (i.e. Me)


Well, I've actually done some writing, shock horror! But before I share any of that, I figured it worth mentioning first some details about the process of film writing. Despite the fact that I know nothing about screen writing, I have done extensive research (!) so I feel like I have somewhere to start from when it comes to writing this film script.

It seems that the normal approach is to firstly write a Treatment - this is basically a detailed synopsis/summary of the entirety of the film, describing scene by scene what happens, with some dialogue where it fits. Some people think this should be about three paragraphs long, others as long as 6 pages - I'm aiming for at most 3 sides of A4 in length.

Before I do that I'm going to try and write a really rough 2-3 paragraph outline as the basis which I'll bulk out as I write. Hopefully it'll help me bridge the gaps which currently exist between some of the scenes as I currently imagine them in my head!

Once I'm happy with the treatment, I'll start on the script proper. But that'll mean even more extensive research, so that's a little way off yet.

I'll post an excerpt of what I'm writing soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment