Friday 13 March 2015

2 years to go - and here's what's happening...

It’s March, it’s my Birthday next week, so that means I'm two years out from the ‘deadline’ for my self-imposed targets!  I guess that means it’s time for an update then.  And I'm pleased to say that there is progress…

Before I get in to that, here's a reminder of what they are:

1) Write a film script.
2) Write… something else.
3) Improve my career prospects.
4) Buy a house.

Straight off, I can say that I've made some progress with each of these.  Firstly, I am pleased to say that I have finished my ‘outline’ for my Horror Movie Script, ‘The Harrowed Man’.  Well, I say ‘outline’ – basically I have written down just about everything that happens in the film so it reads a little like a novella or a short story that needs fleshing out fully.  It’s too long to be considered a treatment, so to get to that stage I will need to do a considerably trimmed down version.  Also, I'm aware that there are probably at least 2, maybe 3 scenes that can be culled  - but I’ll do that when I narrow it during the treatment, and after script-writing, process.

But in the meantime, I am pleased that the story is complete and is out of my head – if you would like to read this first draft of the outline please leave a comment on this post, or via Google+.  For the time being however this film script will be staying as it is, for reasons which will become clear when I discuss Number 3 on my list, below…

As for writing ‘something else’, I've been increasingly enjoying (and increasingly writing!) articles for my film blog, so much so that I'm considering expanding it to a ‘proper’ website, with a decent look and some proper organisation to it.  I’ll never be able to make Film reviews, discussion and analysis a full-time career, but I love films and talking about them so it’s cathartic to get my thoughts and opinions down in a medium that allows me to share them with the world!

Meanwhile, back at my actual job, and improving my career prospects, there’s also significant and positive movement: I have enrolled on a 12 month course to become a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate in SQL 2012.  That means I’ll be qualified to create, manage and administrate databases – which will open up more (and better paid) career opportunities.  I've updated my CV to reflect this, and already I've been in contact with a few Agencies and Employers who've been sniffing me out – that’s a good start, and hopefully I’ll be moving in to better employment prospects very soon.  As a result of doing this course, however, I’ll have less free time – so that’s why I'm stepping away from the film script for the time-being.  Once the course is completed I’ll be back to it!

Finally, you may remember from a previous post on this blog that my plans with regards to buying a house had changed somewhat.  Cutting a long story short, the good news we have been rehoused and have a 6-year tenancy on a local housing association property.  As it’s affordable housing (something that there is a desperate shortage of locally and nationally) it means we will actually be in a position to save a deposit and potentially buy our own house down the line.  It might not be before I'm 40, but it’s a positive step that will see things improve down the line.

Home, Sweet Home.  Plus, a guest appearance form my Stepson.

This has been a quick update, but it has been an extremely positive one!  Hopefully, the next 6-12 months will bring more good news.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment